Wednesday, June 26, 2013

GOODREADS REVIEW

Hi folks,

I usually don't do this, but just got a new review on Goodreads that was really nice and thought I'd share it with your indulgence.

17322002 06/25 Gatamadrizgmail.com gave 5 stars to The Rapist by Les Edgerton
status: Read in June, 2013

This is rough going, I will not lie. Not because it isn't written brilliantly, and not because it ever gets boring.

The protagonist is Truman Ferris Pinter who is a psychopath, no kidding with this. It is stomach turning how this guy rationalizes, and harrowing. I really HATE him, but I could not put it down. And the fact that I would put "hate" in all caps is what makes this brilliant. I read a lot, and one out of every 100 novels affects me the way this has. It was beyond the mediocre character villains, the clichés that allow you to sit back and think, "cardboard character" I'm just along for the ride. No, you get so involved with this, that you have an emotional reaction on the visceral level.

I have only read 2 other novels that stayed with me to this extent, "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Lolita". They stayed with me for months, and even years. This one is going to do the same.

It is powerful. Read it.


Thanks! Much appreciated!

Blue skies,
Les

5 comments:

Sarah Faurote said...

I agree. I have read the book twice. It's that good!

Catherine Clark said...

It was a pleasure writing about this.

Keep Writing!

Cath

Les Edgerton said...

Catherine, is that you who wrote the review? If so, send me your mailing address if you would. Or contact me via email--mine is butchedgerton at comcast dot net. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's what I've always said about your writing. "Visceral" is the best word for it.

Les Edgerton said...

Thank you so much, Sarah, Catherine and Dawn!