Thursday, January 23, 2014

New Amazon Reviews of THE BITCH and THE RAPIST



Hi folks,

Just wanted to share a few recent Amazon reviews of my novels THE BITCH and THE RAPIST. Hope you enjoy ‘em. I sure did!

For THE BITCH

http://www.amazon.com/Bitch-Edgerton-ebook/dp/B00HWJS2BQ/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390504798&sr=1-1&keywords=The+bitch+by+les+edgerton

By 
This review is from: The Bitch (Paperback)
"The Bitch. Three strikes and you're out. Ha-bitch-ual criminal. One more pop and I knew the judge would be peering down at me over his wireframes and saying, "Jacob Bishop, I hereby sentence you to life imprisonment. Have a nice day, loser."

And in one paragraph. Les Edgerton not only explains the title but sets the stage for his crime noir masterpiece about bad choices and even worse consequences.

The premise is a common enough one. ex-con Jacob Bishop. with two strikes against him, gets out of prison, falls in love and gets his life together. He and his pregnant wife are about ready to open their own business when his old cell mate shows up with a proposition involving a heist. It's bad enough that Jacob owes his friend for saving his life but other secrets are out too and blackmail is not out of the question.

From that point on, the dominoes fall and Jacob is in over his head...perhaps. Edgerton has not set up the most original plot, yet this book stands about the others in one major way. I dislike novels where the protagonists continue to make stupid illogical choices. Jacob's decisions may be stupid but they are not illogical. They fit well in the mindset of the characters and the situations they are presented. They fell real and logical based on the fact they are the making the best decisions in the best, if corrupted and unhealthy, way they know how. This is something I know a little about, having worked with parolees and probationers. As wild as the action gets, I felt it could happen. Perhaps a few too many people coincidentally end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also his girl friend maybe falls in line a little too easy. Yet these are minor annoyances considering how riveting the novel is and how well the action and consequences flow.

Edgerton has a gritty style and excels in the street wise, prison accented dialog that permeates this tale. This is one of those story that never let up. I think I put th book down once to answer the phone but that was it. It has an almost perfect ending. Some may think it is a little too open and sudden but I thought it was just right. With one novel, Edgerton has entered my short list of favorite suspense thriller writers, including Charlie Huston and Joe R. Lansdale and he is giving hard-nosed icons like Mickey Spillane a run for the money.

A word or two about the publisher. This was the second book I've read from New Pulp Press. The other one was Last of the Smoking Bartenders by C. J. Howell. New Pulp Press seems to specialize in thrillers and suspense with a literary bent. Emphasis on the word "literary". From the two books I've read, I can say it is an exceptional small publishing company and it would be worthwhile to keep a eye on them...not to mention checking out their past inventory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap!, December 18, 2013
By 
This review is from: The Bitch (Kindle Edition)
I received an advanced chance to read this. I'm lucky, and I'll be buying it. Just because.

Les Edgerton's "The Bitch" is about Jake Bishop, a two-time felon with a Bitch dangling around his neck: Ha-BITCH-ual criminal, two strikes and one away from life without parole in Indiana's Correctional System. With a new business in the works, a loving wife and a baby on the way, Jake feels the glow of the sun, a chance to be a "straight" (law-abiding citizen).

But then he gets the call from Walker Joy.

Former cellmate and trusted inside-friend, Walker is out and back to tricks. He's in a bind, and Jake owes him. Walker's in with Sydney Spencer, a shady black market jeweler, and there's a "piece of cake" job that Jake is uniquely suited to do. But Jake's tasted the dawn, and as the darkness begins to creep up at his heels he wants to run. Jake soon finds that running's not as easy as it should be, and with the Bitch hanging over his head, the night looms.

There is so much to this book. It's the perspective. It's the sublime wisdom embedded in Jake's narration. It's the madness that you can taste as Edgerton guides you through twists and turns that stain the carpets and trunk liners. It's the little things that throw you because the story keeps you looking the other way. It makes Jake's descent real.

Edgerton's style is dynamic, never giving you the time to get easy with the drudgery of getting through some passage. I had to re-read a paragraph or two because I was still stunned by the one sentence that came before it. Yeah, it's that kind of book.

Read it on a day off. Clear the day. Put on a pot of coffee. Trust me.

I will recommend The Bitch to anyone who's capable of enjoying darkness, or just a good book. I would also recommend this to anyone thinking of a life of crime.


Recent reviews of THE RAPIST 

http://www.amazon.com/Rapist-Edgerton-ebook/dp/B00BOXQVF0/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390504759&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Rapist+by+les+edgerton


5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, January 22, 2014
By 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Rapist (Kindle Edition)
This book is simply genius. Genius to the point that I find it trying to even write a review worthy enough to describe said genius. I knew Les Edgerton was good, but DANG! This book demonstrated his abilities on a whole other level.

I won’t lie. When I saw the title of the book there was a little apprehension on my part to make the purchase. The cover is quite troubling, and the title….well I think that speaks for itself. However, being a big Edgerton fan, I knew I had to take the plunge. I am damn happy I did!

The protagonist, Truman Pinter, is a rapist, sociopath, and essentially a guy you will absolutely despise. Edgerton writes this character in way that should be studied by future and current authors. In fact, after reading the book, I am not at all surprised Les writes self-help books on the craft of writing.

The Rapist is a must read book. It’s flawlessly written, and the ending will leave you speechless.


 
5.0 out of 5 stars Made me think about things in new and interesting ways, November 26, 2013


By 
Deb (South Florida) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Rapist (Paperback)

To me, this was an interesting journey through a man's thoughts about himself, his perceptions of our world and himself in it and humanity. Several times I paused to think on what I'd read. It was often like looking through a kaleidoscope and having it turned, with new perspective awaiting me.



5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic literature, you'll want to read more than once!, December 31, 2013
By 
This review is from: The Rapist (Kindle Edition)
Wowza!
This is not my first Les Edgerton novel, but one I procrastinated about reading. If I like an author's style and storytelling ability, I rarely read reviews, etc., and just plunge into their latest writing. Mr. Edgerton is the master of "The Hook" and even though the title didn't appeal to me, the moment I began reading Greek Mythology and literary references intertwined within Truman Pinter's condescending narrative addressing simple-minded readers, I couldn't close my Kindle. Other readers were likely hooked by a desire to know whether or not this death row inmate had actually committed the crime for which he is awaiting a firing squad. I've learned to never expect the same ole, same ole read from Mr. Edgerton, but The Rapist totally blew me away because I expected NOT to like it due to my own misconception. The rape from which the title is drawn, received only a fraction of mention in this dynamic piece of literature.

Succinctly told without relying on dramatic tricks, this novella is in itself a dramatic character study destined to leave each reader with unique opinion. I had to utilize my Kindle Thesaurus a few times, so once again I gained greater education via an extraordinary novel - or novella in this case. The Rapist contains a plethora of brilliant references, and on my second read I realized I'd missed a few due to becoming absorbed in the arrogance of protagonist, Pinter.

I'm not a polished reviewer, so I'll just say, WOWZA! This thought provoking body of work leaves readers with diverse conclusions, yet I believe most feel gratification and a resurrection of intellect. Go. Buy. Savor!


5.0 out of 5 stars Lures with prurient interest, leads to the profound., December 19, 2013
By 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Rapist (Paperback)
Les Edgerton’s The Rapist lures through prurient interest of a heinous crime and the promise to peek into the mind of the rapist. The rapist, Truman, is unrepentant, even spiteful and arrogant toward those who would judge him. He is a condemned man, sits in a cell awaiting execution. He recalls his crime and his hates, even an infant hate. Complexity and contradiction nudge their way in. (Is there an app for that? Did the Kindle brighten a bit? What am I reading here? What happens to a soul?) Edgerton tracks Truman’s thoughts and dreams, which are unusual and particular—in this way creating an uncanny realism of an individual mind. The book evokes consideration of art and life. It does not debate right and wrong but aims higher: the possibility of salvation.
The book is profound yet easy to read. It begins as smut, some pages feel dirty. It is a slim book with a tightly woven narrative of surprises, ideas, even jokes. There would never be a love child between Henry Miller and Albert Camus but such an invention comes to mind for the book is one of a kind.

My heartfelt thanks to all the folks who’ve contributed a review.

Blue skies,
Les

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Les, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Les Edgerton said...

Thanks a lot, Chris. I'll be stopping by and thanks for the invite!