Sunday, May 30, 2010

SOCIAL NETWORKING

Hi folks,

I follow a lot of blogs, especially writer's, agent's and editor's blogs as many are loaded with good advice for writers. Today, I read an especially good one from uber-agent Chip MacGregor's blog that I thought I'd point out. He has a guest on his blog today, Rob Eager, the President of Wildfire Marketing, who makes some interesting points about social networking for writers that I thought was eye-opening. You can read it by either clicking on Chip's blog on my blog and weblist, or go directly to it here at: http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/main/ 

He raises some intriguing questions about Facebook and blogs, et al.




Hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day!

Blue skies,
Les

Me, in my salad days, with my daughter Britney. With more hair than Grizzly Adams...

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Will read the post later. I keep forgetting to comment that you look absolutely nothing like you did in the old pictures you post. I keep looking and looking, and I never see it. Odd. :)

Still trying to come up with a reply to your email. I'm very confused.

Tiffany said...

Okay. Read the post. Why is there so much conflicting information out there on social networking? Didn't people say the same thing about the Internet when it first started popping off in a big way? I mean what's the difference between having Facebook and a website/blog? Either way, it's passive marketing. And what about the people who don't really have the means to get out there? Social networking is really their only option.

Les Edgerton said...

Hey Tiffany. I'm not taking sides with anybody on the value of social media for writers--just wanted to bring this person's take on it to the awareness of folks. He makes some good points. It's a complicated debate, which is cool, because that allows for us to hear many sides and come up with our own conclusions.

I'm a big believer in statistical data that's arrived at without bias and presented fairly, however, and he makes some good points about the provable value of social media as far as writers and their books go. Also, he's not commenting on the social value of the Internet at all--just the marketing value.

Just some food for thought...

And you think I looked different 40-some years ago? Go figure! LOL... You're right--I don't recognize myself sometimes. Just shows how a few Jack and waters over the years can improve one's looks...

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

ok, that post has a really good point. We authors do spend an awful amount of time on the social networks. I wouldn't stop networking, but it might be worth finding a better balance in time management.