Tuesday, December 31, 2013

HAPPY DYNGUS DAY!

Hi folks,

I know, I know... most people do some kind of New Year's Day dealie today, but being the solid contrarian that I am, I sneer at NYD! It's a holiday for amateur drinkers.

Instead, I'd like to draw your attention to the single best holiday in the world. I'm speaking of...

DYNGUS DAY!

And, I'm not talking about that Johnny-come-lately usurper that's held in Buffalo, NY, but the biggest and oldest in the world--the Dyngus Day in South Bend, Indiana.

To those who haven't participated in a Dyngus Day, I have a personal story that epitomizes the holiday.

One year, a long, long time ago, I went to Dyngus Day. Started out at the M.R. Falcons' Club where I watched a guy drop his drawers and stand at the bar for over four hours with his bare butt hanging out. Cops everywhere. What was amazing wasn't that he wasn't arrested--ain't gonna happen during Dyngus Day--but that he never once went to the bathroom!

Okay. That's not my story. From the Falcons' I made my way over to the West Side Democratic Club, the epicenter of the festivities. I remember drinking for several hours and then I went into that fugue state I used to reach more often in those days where I went... blotto...

The next thing I remember, is waking up in a station wagon with eight girls... and me. They were shaking me like crazy, trying to get me conscious. Turns out, they were out of gas... and money. They asked me if I had any bucks or a credit card.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Windsor," one of 'em said.

"Windsor what?" I said.

"Canada."

Okay...

"Who are you guys and why are we in Windsor?" I asked, me being the sharp, penetrating detective.

They all started telling me their names and then one of them said, "It was your idea."

And, that's Dyngus Day.

It's always the Monday after Easter.

Bring bail money.

Go before you get married. Significant Others seem to frown on their spouses having this kind of madcap fun...

Happy Dyngus Day! It's the pro's holiday. You can have your Amateur Hour NYD...

Blue skies,
Les

And here's a picture taken during that period of my life. Notice I had hair? Since Dyngus Day I have a lot less... Just sayin'...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the guy with the mustache, right?

Les Edgerton said...

You're funny, JoAnn! That's my good friend, Fred Sulok and my other good friend, Angie Felabom. Actually, that was shot after we won the election at IUSB. Fred was treasurer, Angie was secretary, and I got lucky and was elected student body prez. Angie's husband, John, ran a brilliant campaign and we took every single seat that year. Butch Morgan was also involved and ended up years later as the state Democratic party chairman... recently indicted...

ebony lorange said...

What an spanking blog you have shared with us. A lot of thanks for this well post. Image Retouching
Photo Editing Helps
Neck Joint
Photoshop Guideline
Clipping Path Tutorial
Drop Shadow Helps
Background Remove
Image Editing
Image Cut Out
Photo Manipulation

ebony lorange said...

This is an excellent blog you have shared with us. Liked and appreciated this well blog. Image Retouching
Photo Editing Helps
Neck Joint
Photoshop Guideline
Clipping Path Tutorial
Drop Shadow Helps
Background Remove
Image Editing
Image Cut Out
Photo Manipulation