Monday, April 14, 2014

YOU GOTTA READ THIS...



Hi folks,

I'd like to introduce you to a book and a writer I'm very excited about. Matthew Louis is the founding editor of Gutter Books and the anarchic pulp fiction zine, Out of the Gutter. He lives in Portland, Oregon. 

 And is one helluva writer!

Here's my review of his novel, THE WRONG MAN:

http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Man-Matthew-Louis-ebook/dp/B00JE2GLS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397492265&sr=1-1&keywords=matthew+louis+the+wrong+man
 

It’s kind of rare to come across a novel as perfectly structured as THE WRONG MAN is. It starts out exactly as it should—a guy trying to live a righteous life and befriend an old pal is suddenly involved by that friend in a race to stay alive and protect himself and his family and before he knows it or can do anything about it, he’s got his back to the wall, in the middle of a shooting war, with the bullets whizzing closer and closer, the bodies falling, and the scent of death everywhere. I read as a writer and believe me, an entire class could be profitably taught using just this novel. The fictive dream is established immediately and there’s no departure point where the reader can leave. Matthew Louis has crafted one of the most interesting, best-paced and plotted novels I’ve read in a long, long time, and I just hope he keeps cranking ‘em out as fast as he can.

If you like your novels to be as dark as the far side of the moon, move like a runaway train with the engineer out from a heart attack, while the hapless passenger left aboard the only one who can keep it from plunging down the mountainside, and who begins to grow into the heroic figure he will become, this is your kind of book. This one’s a winner in every way. Gonna be in my top five of the year for sure. I’ll be saying to everyone I talk to: “You gotta read this.”

You gotta read this.


Check it out.
Blue skies,
Les

No comments: